Enjoy the soft naturally occurring undertones of honey, coconut, & chocolate! No added fragrances or essential oils! It smells delicious because the ingredients are so yummy!
Our salve is an excellent treat for dry skin. 100% organic & perfectly safe to use on your entire body; wherever you need healing: lips, hands, elbows, feet...
This hard salve is especially popular with men as it has no essential oils.
Due to the organic all natural ingredients, this salve is solid in cool temperatures. To soften it, you simply leave it in a warm location (slip it into a roomy pocket for example). If it's hard you can use the back of your thumb nail to scrape it out. You then massage it into your hands. The warmth of your hands will start to melt the butter into your skin giving your skin healing protection that is well worth the effort!
Note that our hard salve doesn't require any preservatives as it is free from water or any watery types of ingredients. It is nothing but fats and waxes. It naturally preserves itself!
Before you get started, we want to stress to you that for the most part, these are guidelines. We have provided links for products & supplies we feel you may find useful. After all, it's the stuff we have either used, or are currently using. In the end, use what works for you. We want you to be comfortable with the whole process. This isn't a chore, or a stress, it's a simple relaxing way to make your own hand cream free from synthetics - at a fraction of the cost.
Our personal preference for heating the ingredients is to use a paper bowl & a cast iron grill over the stove top or if it's during the winter, we forgo the grill & use a paper bowl on top of our wood stove. We prefer this method for it's easy clean up & the fact that we can toss the used bowl in the burn pile &/or compost pile. If you do not feel comfortable with our method/s, you can always opt. for a small crock pot, putting the ingredients directly into the pot. If you have a gas stove you may not feel comfortable with an open flame around your oils. This is perfectly understandable. You too, can use a small crock pot directly or make clean up easier by using a larger oval shaped crock pot and paper bowls. Yet another option is to heat the oils directly in a glass canning jar rather than a paper bowl.
Clean up is a bit more difficult if you directly heat your oils & waxes in a glass jar or crock pot, but it can be done. Once you have finished, use plenty of straight soap no water. This is the same method we use to clean up after soap making. Water will only make the cleaning process more difficult. Once the vessel is sufficiently cleaned, you can then rinse it with hot water. If after rinsing, it still has residue, clean it again with plenty of straight soap no water. Repeat this process until it's clean.
There are no hard fast rules, except to please use common sense. Remember you are dealing with oils which are highly flammable. If for whatever reason, you do have a kitchen fire, do not use water! You can quickly toss baking soda on the flames, or quickly smother it with towels, or the best option (although very messy), use a fire extinguisher. We don't know about you, but we'd rather have a messy kitchen then burn it to the ground!
After the directions, we provide a list of links to a variety of supply options you may wish to explore.
Ready? Lets begin!
Coconut Healing Hard Salve
- 2 Ounces Organic Cocoa Butter is the ultimate all natural moisturizer. It keeps skin soft & supple. It is one of the most stable, highly concentrated natural fats known. It melts at body temperature so that it is readily absorbed into the skin. It is often recommended for the treatment of skin conditions such as eczema & dermatitis. When applied topically, it creates a barrier between sensitive skin & the environment & also helps retain moisture. Pregnant women have long used to cocoa butter formulations to prevent & treat stretch marks.
- 2 Ounces Organic Beeswax is an all natural anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic & antibacterial skin softener that helps lock in the skin's own natural moisture, & creates a protective, long-lasting barrier against the elements.
- 2 Ounces Organic Coconut Oil softens, moisturizes and relieves dry, itchy skin.
Stainless Steel Pot or Cast Iron Pan (better)
- If you are using a large shallow stainless steel pot or large deep stainless steel pan, you will need to fill it half way with hot water. Put it on the stove on the lowest heat setting. If you are using a cast iron grilling pan (our preferred method), put the pan on your stove using the lowest heat setting.
- Measure out your ingredients using your scale. Put your paper bowl on the scale first. Then hit the tare button to zero out the scale. Next add two ounces of beeswax. You can then hit tare again to zero out the scale or add two ounces of cocoa butter next making the scale total four ounces. Again, you can either hit tare a third time to zero it out or add two ounces of coconut oil (if it's in a liquid state, pour very slowly) making the scale total six ounces.
- Carefully place your paper bowl containing all three ingredients either floating in your pot of hot (not boiling) water or on your cast iron grilling pan (our preferred method).
- Keeping the stove heat on the lowest setting, allow the beeswax, cocoa butter, & coconut oil to slowly melt together. Do not leave the mix unattended. This is a good time to prep your jars so they are ready to receive the melted product.
- Once everything is fully melted and incorporated, turn off the stove heat. Carefully lift up the bowl, bend one side of the lip to form a little crease that will act as your pour spout. Pour the hot liquid into your jar/s of choice.
- Let the jars sit until fully cooled and hardened. Place the lid on the jars. Label the jars.
Additional Links To Ingredients & Supplies:
Organic Non GMO Cocoa Butter
Anthony's Organic Cocoa Butter
Divine Organic Organic Cocoa Butter
Kakosi Organic Cocoa Butter
Organic Non GMO Beeswax
Beesworks Organic Beeswax Pellets
Sky Organics White Organic Beeswax Pellets
Better Shea Butter Organic Beeswax Pastilles
Organic Non GMO Coconut Oil
Dr. Bronner's Virgin Whole Kernel Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil (glass jar)
Garden of Life Unrefined Cold Pressed Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (glass jar)
Nutivia Steam Refined Bulk Organic Coconut Oil (reusable plastic tub)
Bakers Math Kitchen Scale
Adapter for Bakers Math Kitchen Scale
Oxo Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale
Earth's Natural Bowls
Dixie Heavy Duty Bowls
Brown Kraft Soup Bowls
Cuisinart Cast Iron Grill Pan
Lodge Cast Iron Single Burner Grill/Griddle
Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan
1 oz. Cobalt Blue Glass Jars
2 oz. Glass Rooster Jars
2 oz. Amber Glass Jars
Kerr 4 oz. Glass Jelly Jars
Brown Kraft 8 oz. Soup Bowls
Lids for Brown Kraft Soup Bowls
Alternative Heating Methods
Small Crock Pot
Large Oval Crock Pot