She breaks down how social media affects our identity, body image, health, relationships, motherhood, career & money, and politics. Deep down I think a lot of us already know these things to be true, but having someone spell it out & even provide data proving it, is pretty eye opening.
Women make up the majority on social media. We always thought it was pretty equal when we think of how folks from both sexes & all age groups are glued to their phones, but the data says otherwise (not that males are off the hook!).
A few tidbits from the book:
The average person has eight social media accounts. People are addicted to their phones. The typical mobile phone user touches their phone 2,617 times a day. Apple indicates that the average user with Touch ID unlocks their phone every 11 minutes, 15 seconds. Fifty three percent of millennial's would rather lose their sense of smell than lose access to their phone or PC. The brains of teens activated the same signals as eating chocolate or winning money when a picture they posted received likes.
While we do not fall into the category of a heavy user - we each only have one social media account, & *gasp* We don't have smart phones (but we do have iPods so it's nearly the same thing in our opinion). I log on mostly for my business. I am online regularly, but very little of that time is spent on social media. We don't know why Facebook hasn't managed to get us addicted, but we're glad we're free of the pull.
I'd like to add an example of my own to this book regarding 'How Social Media Is Ruining Your Life'. A very close family member has a smart phone. She wants me to be on Facebook messaging, posting, etc. I told her I don't feel comfortable with Facebook. I explained I don't feel it's safe, I don't like so much personal stuff being posted, etc. She then asked me how she was supposed to stay in touch with me. I told her she can email me or call me. She said she doesn't know how to email me & said she didn't want to talk to me on the phone. That's right, this very important person in my life doesn't want to actually hear my voice. Social Media, disconnecting family one member at a time.
We have no plans to close our accounts, however you will not find us posting about every second of our lives. Of course we will still be updating our Running Bug Farm Facebook page, but to us that isn't exactly the same thing. Sure the business shows some of our personal lives (how can it not when we live where we work?), but we focus on our farm & our wonderful animals.
Overall, we think this book is great. Lots of little tidbits to share with others that might even lead to a real healthy discussion. The author doesn't say we need to quit, we just need to be responsible & aware.
Book Corner Quick Links
Links to the books we've read & reviewed for your convenience!
- Feeding You Lies
- Why Social Media Is Ruining Your Life
- Breakfast The Most Important Book About The Best Meal Of The Day
- Complete Wellness Enjoy Long-Lasting Health and Well-Being
- The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy: A Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Beyond
- The Complete Guide To Adaptogens From Ashwagandaha to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs That Transform and Heal
- Beginning Beekeeping
- Before The Evolution and Future of Processed Food
- The Psychobiotic Revolution
- Simple & Natural Soapmaking: Create 100% Pure and Beautiful Soaps with The Nerdy Farm Wife’s Easy Recipes and Techniques
- The Flower Book
- The Essential Oils Complete Reference Guide: Over 250 Recipes for Natural Wholesome Aromatherapy
- The Gut Makeover: 4 Weeks to Nourish Your Gut, Revolutionize Your Health, and Lose Weight
- The Field Guide To Pregnancy
- 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home: A Nerdy Farm Wife's All-Natural DIY Projects Using Commonly Found Herbs, Flowers & Other Plants
- The Chicken Health Handbook
- Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginners Guide
- The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
- The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits
- The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle over Food Rights
- The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
- Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty
- The Gort Cloud: The Invisible Force Powering Today's Most Visible Green Brands
- Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles
- Sleeping Naked Is Green
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting
- Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
- Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World
- Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More
- Healing Herbs: A Beginner's Guide To Identifying, Foraging, and Using Medicinal Plants
- The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- The Virgin Diet Cookbook: 150 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Lose Weight and Feel Better Fast
- Flip Dolls & Other Toys That Zip, Stack, Hide, Grab & Go
- Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well Without Prescriptions
- Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
- Integrative Wellness Rules: A Simple Guide to Healthy Living
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale About Making Innovation Happen
- The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
- The Easy Organizer: 365 Tips for Conquering Clutter
- The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
- Probiotics For Dummies
- Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
- Small Business For Dummies
- Starting An Etsy Business For Dummies
- Snip, Burn, Solder, Shred: Seriously Geeky Stuff to Make with Your Kids
- The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You've Always Wanted
- A Woman's Guide to a Healthy Stomach: Taking Control of Your Digestive Health
- Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
- Terra Madre: Forging a New Global Network of Sustainable Food Communities
- The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite For Losing Weight
- Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
- Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
- Bread Matters: The State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own
- Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences