Why would I want this book when I have been selling on Etsy for years? Because Etsy has been making changes. At the time I requested this book, the latest change negatively affected my sales to the point where I was wondering why I was bothering to list any items at all. The problem was Etsy changed it's search format (again). Potential buyers were not finding my items. I followed all the Etsy newsletters and workshops, changing tags, titles you name it. It made no difference. Along comes this book and I think, "What have I got to loose?"
For the most part being both an active buyer and seller, I can say that this book is dead on right. The advice is sound and you should follow it. I even discovered little things here and there that I didn't know.
Sadly this book, a new release, is already outdated! Etsy is continuing to make changes and at the rate they are doing these changes, no book will ever be up to date. The already mentioned search format change is not in the book. Also, the book says you cannot change your shop name. Last week I got a notice from Etsy saying soon I would be able to change my shops name. The book says how you can buy a spot for $7 a day to be featured. This changed twice now. They did away with that when they changed the search format. That space featured the newly listed items. It has yet again changed to feature items that sellers pay to have featured but not for $7 a day. It's totally different and I'm not going into it or this review will never end due to the endless changes.
There is now a option to click the Facebook like button on the shop page front, as well as a Twitter option. Now not only is your shop name shown, but your real name (or whatever name you chose to provide. If you don't provide a name it will show your shop name twice) and your shop name. The book mentions going into the chat rooms and etiquette. Well don't worry you can skip right over this. Etsy got rid of the chat rooms! Edit 2/28/20: You have the Etsy Forums which were also changed in 2019. Etsy admin. rarely steps in to address user concerns. The forums are still a great way to find out what the heck is going on in the ever changing Etsy-Land.
While writing this, I am trying to remember all the changes that have happened that are not in this brand new book and really there are so many it's rather nutty and I'm sure I'm missing quite a few.
The section on paying taxes was not very detailed. This is another reason I wanted the book. I only discovered one thing I hadn't known about our tax system. Mostly this section covers the tax part in Etsy but advises you to speak to a lawyer and/or accountant. They also recommend finding out the specific tax laws for not only your state but your town as well. This is good advice but probably not what you are looking for since you have to look elsewhere for the answers to all those confusing tax questions. Note (2/29/20): Tax laws have changed greatly from state to state. Etsy now collects all sales tax on the behalf of sellers. Your payment fee includes the tax amount. You no longer have to remit sales tax if you only sell on Etsy.
If you are new to Etsy I see no reason not to read this book because it still contains loads of useful information. If your a seasoned seller, you may enjoy brushing up on your Etsy knowledge, and who knows maybe like me you will learn a few new things along the way. The biggest problem is if you use this book and really are a "Dummy" you are going to be very confused when what the book says and what Etsy does don't match up. Luckily at the moment it's a small enough amount of differences that you can still learn plenty. Aside from that Etsy is not a super complicated site. It functions very well. As the book advises (this is great advice) Be a buyer first! You have a stress free way to get familiar with the site while getting some nifty items for your efforts!
A lot has changed on Etsy since my review of this book in 2011. The most recent was just two days ago. Etsy is now forcing sellers who have earned $10,000 for any calendar year to participate in outside advertising (outside of Etsy, places like Facebook, Google, Pintrest, etc.). Sellers do not get to choose how these advertising dollars are spent. Sellers cannot opt out. The only way to opt out is to close your Etsy shop. Sellers who have made less than $10,000 in any calendar year are automatically opted in. These sellers may opt out if they wish (I expect this will eventually become mandatory for all sellers). The additional fee Etsy collects for this is 15% for sellers who earn under $10k and 12% for sellers who earn $10k or more. If your shop earned $10k or more one year but the following year earned less than $10K, you are still locked in for life. You cannot opt out ever. The total fees to sell on Etsy if an ad is clicked and you make your sale are estimated to about 20%. I did the math for my own Etsy shop and the number is closer to 28% of my total sale. The fees are on the item, the shipping, plus tax charged. There is also a listing fee. All fees are: Listing fee, transaction fee, sales fee, ad click fee (if applicable). It is also important to note that if a buyer clicks on an ad, you are charged 12-15% for each item the buyer purchases even if the other items are not being advertised. Wait, it doesn't end there! If the buyer is happy and they decide to return to your shop to buy additional items within the next 30 days, these purchases will also incur the additional 12-15% fee. This now means that as of this update, places like Amazon Handmade and Ebay are actually cheaper than Etsy. They also have better search engines and a higher volume of customers.
My biggest recommendation is to diversify. Get your own stand alone website, plus sell on other platforms, not just on Etsy, or at this point you may not want to sell on Etsy at all.
Links to some of the books I've read and reviewed for your convenience!
- You Are What Your Grandparents Ate
- Good Mornings: Morning Rituals For Wellness, Peace,and Purpose
- Healthy Eating For Life
- Troubled Water What's Wrong With What We Drink
- Beekeeping For Beginners How To Raise Your First Bee Colonies
- Dreamland (YA edition): The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic
- Yoga For Better Sleep
- Everyday Healing with Essential Oils
- Buzz Sting Bite Why We Need Insects
- National Geographic Complete Guide to Pet Health, Behavior, and Happiness
- Coffee House Knits
- Feeding You Lies
- Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
- Breakfast The Most Important Book About The Best Meal Of The Day
- Complete Wellness Enjoy Long-Lasting Health and Well-Being
- The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy: A Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Beyond
- The Complete Guide To Adaptogens From Ashwagandaha to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs That Transform and Heal
- Beginning Beekeeping
- Before The Evolution and Future of Processed Food
- The Psychobiotic Revolution
- Simple & Natural Soapmaking: Create 100% Pure and Beautiful Soaps with The Nerdy Farm Wife’s Easy Recipes and Techniques
- The Flower Book
- The Essential Oils Complete Reference Guide: Over 250 Recipes for Natural Wholesome Aromatherapy
- The Gut Makeover: 4 Weeks to Nourish Your Gut, Revolutionize Your Health, and Lose Weight
- The Field Guide To Pregnancy
- 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home: A Nerdy Farm Wife's All-Natural DIY Projects Using Commonly Found Herbs, Flowers & Other Plants
- The Chicken Health Handbook
- Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginners Guide
- The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
- The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits
- The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle over Food Rights
- The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
- Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty
- The Gort Cloud: The Invisible Force Powering Today's Most Visible Green Brands
- Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles
- Sleeping Naked Is Green
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting
- Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
- Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World
- Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More
- Healing Herbs: A Beginner's Guide To Identifying, Foraging, and Using Medicinal Plants
- The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- The Virgin Diet Cookbook: 150 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Lose Weight and Feel Better Fast
- Flip Dolls & Other Toys That Zip, Stack, Hide, Grab & Go
- Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well Without Prescriptions
- Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
- Integrative Wellness Rules: A Simple Guide to Healthy Living
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale About Making Innovation Happen
- The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
- The Easy Organizer: 365 Tips for Conquering Clutter
- The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
- Probiotics For Dummies
- Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
- Small Business For Dummies
- Starting An Etsy Business For Dummies
- Snip, Burn, Solder, Shred: Seriously Geeky Stuff to Make with Your Kids
- The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You've Always Wanted
- A Woman's Guide to a Healthy Stomach: Taking Control of Your Digestive Health
- Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
- Terra Madre: Forging a New Global Network of Sustainable Food Communities
- The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite For Losing Weight
- Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
- Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
- Bread Matters: The State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own
- Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences
- Success With Baby Chicks