For those of you who mix up "Vegetarian" & "Vegan" this book has recipes that include dairy. It also has 100% Vegan recipes. There are NO recipes using poultry, fish, beef, or wild game. Soy based products are used a lot & a very very tiny section features recipes for the raw foodie.
We were very excited about this book until we tried to use a recipe. We just received our co-op organic produce box filled with fresh delicious organic veggies & fruits. Well what book would be better suited than a vegetarian & vegan cookbook? To our dismay we couldn't find a suitable recipe. We were always missing numerous ingredients to make a dish work. Now we know how to substitute, Moosewood even encourages it. But we didn't have any substitutes that we felt were suitable. After over an hour of going through the book we dug through our old recipes to utilize both our co-op box & our own farms bounty.
Because we only eat organic & as local as possible, we simply cannot find all the ingredients to make these dishes. We would have to use what we have plus go to numerous stores all over the state & beyond to find what we need. We will not eat non organic "food". If a Whole Foods was around the corner we think we would be able to get a lot more use out of this book. If you either don't worry about being organic or have a local Whole Foods or similar well stocked store or robust farmers market, we don't think this will be a problem for you.
The recipes sound wonderful. The ingredients in a lot of these recipes are healthy & diverse. We personally don't trust consuming any soy products or agave (high fructose) so those parts of the book are not of any use to us.
We love that the author includes many informative sections from various topics such as: Fish, beans, sugars, vegan, rice, raw, leafy greens, eggs, soy, organic, pasta & other topics. We may not agree with everything they have to say on these various topics but we agree with most of it & hope that readers find the info. helpful to them.
As for the recipe sections:
Breakfast & Baked Goods, Eggs, Appetizers, Sauces & More, Salads, Soups, Sandwiches, Burgers, Stir-Frys & Sautes, Tofu, Savory Pastries, Stuffed Vegetables, Casseroles & More, Beans, Pasta, Stews (my favorite section), Raw Food, Grains, Side Vegetables, Desserts (not much here only a scant few pages).
Well worth buying if you find yourself in the situation we mentioned, otherwise give this one a pass.
Book Corner Quick Links
Links to the books we've read & reviewed for your convenience!
- Breakfast The Most Important Book About The Best Meal Of The Day
- Complete Wellness Enjoy Long-Lasting Health and Well-Being
- The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy: A Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Beyond
- The Complete Guide To Adaptogens From Ashwagandaha to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs That Transform and Heal
- Beginning Beekeeping
- Before The Evolution and Future of Processed Food
- The Psychobiotic Revolution
- Simple & Natural Soapmaking: Create 100% Pure and Beautiful Soaps with The Nerdy Farm Wife’s Easy Recipes and Techniques
- The Flower Book
- The Essential Oils Complete Reference Guide: Over 250 Recipes for Natural Wholesome Aromatherapy
- The Gut Makeover: 4 Weeks to Nourish Your Gut, Revolutionize Your Health, and Lose Weight
- The Field Guide To Pregnancy
- 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home: A Nerdy Farm Wife's All-Natural DIY Projects Using Commonly Found Herbs, Flowers & Other Plants
- The Chicken Health Handbook
- Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginners Guide
- The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
- The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits
- The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle over Food Rights
- The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
- Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty
- The Gort Cloud: The Invisible Force Powering Today's Most Visible Green Brands
- Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles
- Sleeping Naked Is Green
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting
- Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
- Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World
- Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More
- Healing Herbs: A Beginner's Guide To Identifying, Foraging, and Using Medicinal Plants
- The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- The Virgin Diet Cookbook: 150 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Lose Weight and Feel Better Fast
- Flip Dolls & Other Toys That Zip, Stack, Hide, Grab & Go
- Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well Without Prescriptions
- Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
- Integrative Wellness Rules: A Simple Guide to Healthy Living
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale About Making Innovation Happen
- The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
- The Easy Organizer: 365 Tips for Conquering Clutter
- The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
- Probiotics For Dummies
- Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
- Small Business For Dummies
- Starting An Etsy Business For Dummies
- Snip, Burn, Solder, Shred: Seriously Geeky Stuff to Make with Your Kids
- The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You've Always Wanted
- A Woman's Guide to a Healthy Stomach: Taking Control of Your Digestive Health
- Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
- Terra Madre: Forging a New Global Network of Sustainable Food Communities
- The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite For Losing Weight
- Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
- Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
- Bread Matters: The State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own
- Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences