This is a very nice full color book on Adaptogens. We will start by giving you the layout, followed by some of our thoughts on the book overall.
The author starts by introducing the reader to the basics of Adaptogens. She provides details about which tools, supplies, skills, & basic ingredients are needed. She than follows this with different methods for extraction. This is followed by the Adaptogens Glossary or chapter one. The glossary provides details about each adaptogen starting with A for Albizia. She provides basic information as well as the plant hardiness zone, properties, safety, & serving size. The glossary concludes with Suma.
Part two covers recipes. The first section or chapter three is for sleep. Chapter four is to improve mood. Chapter five is to improve mental focus. Chapter six is to improve immune function. Chapter seven is to improve energy and stamina. Chapter eight is to support women's health. Chapter nine is to support men's health. Chapter ten is to improve hair, skin, & nails.
The book concludes with a list of resources & supplies, a US/Metric conversion chart & last the index.
We've been studying herbs for many years now & always welcome books of this sort into our library. One thing we know with certainty is that we don't know a thing, no matter how much we learn. Because fertility has been the main thing on our minds for the past year or so, that will be our main focus in this review.
As mentioned, in the beginning of the book, the author lists various adaptogens, safety, uses etc. We were rather surprised to learn that Holy Basil is reported to have an anti-fertility effect. Holy Basil is one of our favorite herbs, yet here we are inadvertently negatively affecting our fertility. She also discusses which herbs are in the nightshade family. If you are following an anti-inflammatory diet for an autoimmune disease, you will want to avoid these herbs. She also discusses other safety issues for the various herbs, blood pressure, if it is safe for children, or during pregnancy, etc.
Overall we found chapter two to be the most informative & useful to us. However, the beginning of the book where she discusses the extraction methods, tools, etc. is also invaluable.
If all you do is read the first two chapters, you will have all you need to know. You will understand the uses & safety for each adaptogen & you will understand how to make extractions.
The meat of the book is the recipes which provide a fun & creative way for you to use these herbs. She includes teas & bath blends, as well as smoothies, desserts, side dishes, syrups, snacks, seasonings, & more. Because fertility has been our main interest & as mentioned our main focus, we feel the need to point out that while all of these great things are covered, the topic of fertility is not addressed. Not in chapter eight, support for women's health. Nor in chapter nine, support for men's health. No yummy recipes for nourishing the womb or helping a man have healthy sperm. When we consider how many couples are dealing with fertility issues, we find it incredibly disappointing that this topic is not addressed.
We would also like to point out that the author sometime writes very childishly. Perhaps to seem more with the times, but it comes across as unprofessional rather than witty. This is a minor thing to be sure, but it takes away from the authors credibility.
While we feel there is a lot to take from this book & feel it is worth having, calling it the complete guide seems a bit overreaching.
Links to the books we've read & reviewed for your convenience!
- Complete Wellness Enjoy Long-Lasting Health and Well-Being
- The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy: A Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Beyond
- The Complete Guide To Adaptogens From Ashwagandaha to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs That Transform and Heal
- Beginning Beekeeping
- Before The Evolution and Future of Processed Food
- The Psychobiotic Revolution
- Simple & Natural Soapmaking: Create 100% Pure and Beautiful Soaps with The Nerdy Farm Wife’s Easy Recipes and Techniques
- The Flower Book
- The Essential Oils Complete Reference Guide: Over 250 Recipes for Natural Wholesome Aromatherapy
- The Gut Makeover: 4 Weeks to Nourish Your Gut, Revolutionize Your Health, and Lose Weight
- The Field Guide To Pregnancy
- 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home: A Nerdy Farm Wife's All-Natural DIY Projects Using Commonly Found Herbs, Flowers & Other Plants
- The Chicken Health Handbook
- Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginners Guide
- The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
- The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits
- The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle over Food Rights
- The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
- Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty
- The Gort Cloud: The Invisible Force Powering Today's Most Visible Green Brands
- Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles
- Sleeping Naked Is Green
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting
- Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
- Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World
- Fortify Your Life: Your Guide to Vitamins, Minerals, and More
- Healing Herbs: A Beginner's Guide To Identifying, Foraging, and Using Medicinal Plants
- The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- The Virgin Diet Cookbook: 150 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Lose Weight and Feel Better Fast
- Flip Dolls & Other Toys That Zip, Stack, Hide, Grab & Go
- Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well Without Prescriptions
- Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
- Integrative Wellness Rules: A Simple Guide to Healthy Living
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- How Stella Saved the Farm: A Tale About Making Innovation Happen
- The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
- The Easy Organizer: 365 Tips for Conquering Clutter
- The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
- Probiotics For Dummies
- Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
- Small Business For Dummies
- Starting An Etsy Business For Dummies
- Snip, Burn, Solder, Shred: Seriously Geeky Stuff to Make with Your Kids
- The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You've Always Wanted
- A Woman's Guide to a Healthy Stomach: Taking Control of Your Digestive Health
- Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
- Terra Madre: Forging a New Global Network of Sustainable Food Communities
- The Hundred Year Diet: America's Voracious Appetite For Losing Weight
- Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
- Felties: How to Make 18 Cute and Fuzzy Friends from Felt
- Bread Matters: The State of Modern Bread and a Definitive Guide to Baking Your Own
- Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences